Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mod-Podge Step Stool



This past summer I had bought a second hand step stool off of Kijiji and decided to use it as an end table. Before doing this, I decided it needed some extra character. Using what I had around our home, my creative wim landed on the idea of mod-podge and newspaper. After some research, I quickly learned of three DIY mod podge recipes. The three variations are as follows: One using flour, One using Elmer's glue and another using the stove top cook method. I used option A for my step stool. But,I love all three, they work fantastic!
Option A
you will need:   A Jar, Elmer's Glue, Water        
Squeeze the glue into your jar.  Then the water. You want it to be equal parts. Shake, shake, shake! Done! This is the one I used for my step-stool.
Option B                      
The Italian method of decoupage is known as "lacca povera".  It
You will need:  A Jar, Flour, Water, Stove (or boiling water from a kettle).        
Consists of 1 part flour to 5 parts water, boil 3 min and let cool. If you live in humid area, you will need less water (1/4 less). Dries very smooth.
Option C                       
You will need:  Flour, Water, Jar          
1 Part Flour. 1 Part Water. Mix in the jar to avoid a mess.  Shake! Or, If you plan on using it right away, stir together in a large bowl.  Easy peezey lemon squeeze-y!


There you have it! All three options are also used for paper mache. Did you know that? So save your self a buck and make your own instead of buying name brand Mod-Podge. If you are doing paper mache, do not overlap more than 4 layers of paper, as it will not dry properly. Kids in school typically do two layers, as they tend to over lap more ;) *giggles.



If you want a touch of extra shine, go ahead and add some varnish. Make sure the can says Non-Yellowing! 


Love it or Hate it? 




       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, A comment! A Comment! How Exciting! Thank You! I will write you back, shortly! :)