Saturday, February 25, 2012

Finnish Flat Bread & Homemade Buttermilk Subsitute


Finnish Flat Bread is  simple and delicious to make.  It goes very well with pasta, and is also wonderful to dip in soups. There are a variety of Finnish breads  to choose from.  The one I am posting for you this evening does not need many ingredients and has zero rise time (insert happy dance here)!
It takes about 15 min to prepare, 30 minutes to bake and yields 6-8 servings.  Perfect addition to any meal. 

I am also including my mother's instructions for buttermilk substitute, as you will need it for this recipe.  Although, I do not recommend it for dressings, this is my go-to recipe for any thing else that calls for buttermilk.  And it works every time and saves you money! Perfect. 

Let's get it started in here...! (yes, I did just quote the Black Eyed Peas. lol.)
First, you will need to prepare your buttermilk because it needs to sit for a few min to thicken.

*Ingredients for Home Made Butter Milk Substitute
1 cup Milk. 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice or Vinegar. 

Add your lemon juice or vinegar, first.  Then pour the milk in until you reach your one cup line, let sit for 15-20 min. That's it.  Eazy-Peezy-lemon-squeezy!  Skim milk is not recommended, I used one percent. If you find it is not thickening very well, add another little squeeze of lemon juice or a little more vinegar. It will not harm the outcome of your buttermilk !

Upwards and Onwards...


Ingredients for Finnish Flat Bread
1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
3/4 cup Whole Wheat flour
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 cup Shortening 
1 cup Butter Milk *

1. In a Large Bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda.
2. Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Stir in buttermilk until moistened.
4. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead 3-5 min.
5. Pat onto ungreased 12 inch pan.  (I used a pie plate, but you can use a pizza pan, also).
6. Bake at 350 for 30 min or until Golden. Cool for 5-10 min. 

*The photos above are of my Finnish Flat Bread that I baked, this evening.  It was delicious! I hope you enjoy yours and  let me know how it  turned out in the comment section below. Thanks for stopping by :) 
Pin It




2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I'm definitely going to try this. I made some naan bread (indian bread) the other night and it turned out great too. Even though I live in the land of fresh bread, I'm always on the lookout for new bread recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Crystal! It's perfect for dipping in thick soups, pasta, or stew as it is more dense, with a slightly sweet flavor. Delicious! Let me know how it turns out :-)

    ReplyDelete

Oh, A comment! A Comment! How Exciting! Thank You! I will write you back, shortly! :)